Saturday, May 29, 2010

Old Man's Cave

Where: Hocking Hills, Ohio
Trail: Grandma's Gatewood Trail & Exit Trails
Difficulty: Moderate
Distance: ?
Adventure Level: 4 Stars
Pets: Allowed on leash

We sort of got lost on this hike and therefore, I have no idea what trails we were on exactly or how far we traveled.

We also crossed a creek and found a trail that was closed due to fallen rock. That, of course, didn't stop me. We climbed up rock steps and were soon stopped by the destroyed trail.


So, I found a way across the middle, over boulders and downed trees. When I went back for Marc, I stepped on a downed tree that was damp and mossy. I don't really know what happened next, but I fell off the boulder and tree and landed hard on my hip and elbow. The bruise on my hip ended up being the size of my hand (not my palm, the whole hand). This was the first time I ever used my first aid kit hiking, though, so that was pretty exciting.
This is the area we crossed. In the upper left corner, you can see my blue shirt behind a tree--that should help give perspective on how big the boulders were that we were hopping.

After we made our way across that mess of boulders, we met up with a trail that took us to wooden spirl-ish stairs that led up to the rim trail. We decided to call it a day. It was late afternoon and the pain in my hip was making me walk funny.

No comments:

Post a Comment